Friday, July 8, 2011

The Sorceress: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (2009)

Plot spoiler if you haven't read The Alchemist or The Magician.

I am tired now, so tired.
     And I am aging fast.  There is a stiffness in my joints, my sight is no longer sharp and I find I have to strain to hear.  Over the past five days I have been forced to use my powers more times than I have used them in the entire previous century, and that has speeded up the aging process significantly.  I estimate that I have aged by at least a decade - perhaps more - since last Thursday.  If I am to live, I have to retrieve the Book of Abraham, and I cannot - I dare not - risk using my powers again.

Josh, Sophie and Nicholas are now in London, the heart of Dr. John Dee's powers.  There are more Elders in London than in any other place in the world.  All are aligned with the Dark Elders.

There are also more ley lines that meet and converge over the British Isles than over any place in the world.  Nicholas needs to find a specific ley line that will take them back to San Francisco.

But first the twins need to learn as many elemental magics as possible.  Sophie has already learned the Magic of Air and the Magic of Fire.  Nicholas doesn't have any friends in London, but he knows there is one person in London who could teach the twins the Magic of Water.  He's the oldest immortal human in the world:  Gilgamesh the King.  He has lived so long that he is insane.  And he is very angry with Flamel.

Dr. John Dee, the agent of the most dangerous of all the Dark Elders, is still hunting Flamel and the twins.  His failures are noticed by the Dark Elders.

"We were assured that all was in readiness...we were assured that Flamel would be captured and slain...we were assured that Perenelle would be disposed of and that the twins would be apprehended and delivered into our hands...And yet Flamel remains free...Perenelle is no longer imprisoned in a cell, though she is trapped on the island.  The twins have escaped.  And we still donot have the complete Codex.  We are disappointed."

Dee has been collecting monsters on Alcatraz Island. 

Sophie is forced to rely on the Witch of Endor's memories, which are essential for their survival.  But she risks losing her own memories, and she and Josh realize that there have been other twins in Nicholas and Perenelle's past, few who have survived.

Palamedes, the Sarcen Knight who fought with King Arthur, and William Shakespeare help Flamel and the twins continue their fight against the Dee.  Joan of Arc and Scathach attempt to use the ley line on Point Zero in front of Notre-Dame de Paris to help Perenelle, but Dee again interferred and they are lost.




Machiavelli joins Billy the Kid in San Francisco.  They have one mission:  to kill Perenelle Flamel.

Will Nicholas and Perenelle survive?  Can the Codex be retrieved from the Dark Elders?  And what will happen to Sophie and Josh?  The Sorceress is yet another exciting read, packed full of history and adventure.

Rating:  10 out of 10 stars

To check this book out at NOLS, click HERE!

Next up: